The following procedure, steps 1, 2 and 3, is mandatory for all new students.
Step 3 of this procedure is mandatory for students who have already taken a French course at the École de langues within the last year.
If you have already been admitted to another FEP program or to another Université de Montréal faculty, you must take a placement test before contacting the management technician for student files (the TGDE) of your program of study. You must therefore follow step 2.
If you study in another Québec university, you must take a placement test before applying for a student authorization through the website of the interuniversity cooperation office. You must therefore follow step 2. Pay attention to the registration deadlines for interuniversity students.
Submit an application for admission, as an independent student or for the certificate.
Take note of the admission confirmation number, it will be asked on the placement test registration form. You will receive a confirmation email allowing you to register to the placement test.
Admission deadlines to the certificate
Summer: March 7
Fall: June 1
Winter: November 1
You must submit your application for admission at least 3 days before registering to the placement test.
This choice is definitive: no schedule modification request will be accepted.
The room numbers for the placement test are posted at the entrance of Pavillon 3200, rue Jean-Brillant, an hour before the test.
Duration of the test: allow 3 hours.
About 5 working days after the placement test, you will receive by email information regarding:
- Your proficiency level according to your test results, oral and written;
- The list of courses you will be allowed to register in for the semester;
- How to register to courses according to your status as a student.
Placement tests calendar
- February 23, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: February 20)
- March 23, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: March 20) or
- April 3, 2018, at 6 p.m. (test registration deadline: march 29)
- June 1st, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: May 29).
Interuniversity students: you may only register for the tests of February 23 or March 23, 2018.
- June 1st, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: May 29)
- August 9, 2018, at 6 p.m. (test registration deadline: August 6) or
- August 17, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: August 14)
Bloc 2 intensive course
- October 19, 2018, at 1 p.m. (test registration deadline: October 16)
Interuniversity students: you may only register for the tests of June 1st or August 17, 2018.
- Independent, certificate or inter-faculty students registration deadline: April 20, 2018.
- Interuniversity students registration deadline: April 13, 2018.
- Bloc 2 intensive course registration deadline: June 15, 2018.
- Independent, certificate or inter-faculty students registration deadline: August 29, 2018.
- Interuniversity students registration deadline: August 24, 2018.
- Bloc 2 intensive course registration deadline: October 25, 2018.
To know the room number of the course, please consult your Student Center on the morning of the first class.
Go to the Université de Montréal Tuition website for all information about tuition, the cost of studies, withdrawal procedures and billing, as well as the way to make payments.
Additional charges are billed for participation in some of our courses.
- $25 per credit for all language courses beginning with the letters FRS, EDP and ENF
- $380 per course for intensive courses at all levels (6 credits)
Foreign students may receive an exemption from payment of the lump sum for FRS courses if they are enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at the Université de Montréal.
To find out if you are eligible for the exemption and how to obtain it, contact the secretariat of your faculty or your department.
If you are studying at another Québec university, ask your institution if you are eligible for the exemption.
You are responsible for informing the FEP of your status as a student in Québec when you are admitted or when you register.
Canadian students born outside Québec
Students must check the eligibility requirements of their province’s health insurance plan.
All foreign students must take out a health insurance policy offered by the Université de Montréal. The cost is CAN$324 per session (four months). During the summer session, the cost of insurance is exceptionally $81 per month.
The insurance coverage is valid from the first day of the month that the course begins to the last day of the month that the course ends. No other health insurance policy will be accepted.
The cost of health insurance may change without notice.
Courses are given if the number of students registered is sufficient.
Due to limited places in some of our courses, we strongly recommend that registration be completed as soon as the placement test results are received.
You must activate your institutional email address @umontreal.ca in order to receive important emails from UdeM.
WITHDRAWAL: You must comply with the withdrawal dates as they appear in the course schedule of courses offered. Non-compliance with the withdrawal date with reimbursement will automatically result in the issuing of a bill that you must pay before being authorized to register again at UdeM.